(picture courtesy – http://www.flickr.com/photos/rajaukil/3956107994/)
The moment one hears the word Paan, quite many things come in mind like –
- Famous song from the movie ‘Don’, Khaike paan banaras wala
- Banarasi, calcutti, saada, meetha, maghai paan and many more varieties
- People chewing paan and spitting anywhere and everywhere (yuck .. when will these people stop spitting)
- Movies depicting Royal times which show the importance of offering ‘Paan’ to guests as a part of hospitality gesture
- Small paan patti shops at the corners of many roads ..
You must be wondering what am I trying to say ?
Well, paan or betel-quid as they call it, is considered to be good to chew specially after a very heavy/spicy meal, a maghai or meetha paan, for digestive purposes. It acts as a coolant and breath freshener.
Ok you got my point but still not sure in what context ?
This Mall culture in metros has got the best restaurants and food joints in the malls but once you finish eating there and you feel like having a meetha paan post meal, you have no option right there. Yes, have you seen any such paan shop at any malls ? No, I am not saying they should sell paan with tobacco and all but at least a sweet paan shop.
I am sure if someone picks up this idea and starts something in any mall, one would witness the huge crowd there post meal to have a coolant, breath freshener as the mall would be the most hygienic place to make a paan with no flies and mosquitoes like the streets.
Makes sense now ? any takers ?